Thursday, April 17, 2008

Hair is overrated.

So, the last few days when Kristen has put her fingers through her hair, she has been getting some extra hairs coming out. SO, today after her second chemo treatment, I went over to her house along with Amy, and my mom, and I shaved her head. I'll tell ya, there are really no words to describe doing something you would never dream of in your life. And I'm sure there aren't many words Kristen could use to describe that moment either. It was nice to be able to be with her in that moment though. She looks great. I mean it. Her eyes really stick out and I think she looks so pretty. We also went wig shopping the other day, so she has a wig she can wear if she wants to. It amazingly looks like her real hair. The same color and texture. (Thanks Grams!)
She feels good today other than really tired. If this time is the same as last, she is due to feel sick starting tomorrow night or Saturday. Hopefully it won't be as bad as last time. We'll hope for the best. We love you Kristen!! So for you, here is a Deep Thought, by Jack Handey

"It's true that every time you hear a bell, an angel gets in wings, but what they don't tell you is every time you hear a mouse trap snap, an angel gets set on fire."

13 comments:

Amanda said...

Kristen, Stacey, Amy and Kari, you guys are awesome. It just shows what sisters, cousins, and moms are for. Kristen you do have beautiful eyes and I'm sure they look even bigger and more beautiful now. Love ya and your always in my prayers.

Brittany said...

K10 - You are still a total hottie!!! Who needs hair anyway? You're just lucky you've got a gorgeous face - imagine if you looked like Paris Hilton or something...

Melanie said...

That's a hard one! Your hair has always been insanely thick too so it must feel so different to not have an extra 7 pounds on top of your head! We shaved our daughter's head last Sept. (just because we're weird) so if you need tips on hats or how to style really short hair when it starts to come back, I'm your gal! (Email me at bohnchick@hotmail.com)

Incidentally, my sister-in-law had the same type of cancer you do about 12 years ago and she went to med school, has a successful husband, and three darling little girls! She said it's as far as cancers go, it's one with excellent prognoses!
--melanie

thepainterfam said...

Hi Kristen! Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you lots and lots. Big hugs.

Tracy (Kristi's sister)

Angie said...

Hair IS totally overrated. Just think, now you don't have to worry about doing your hair every day and you can just throw on a wig or let your cute head enjoy the breeze. I had a friend shave her head last year just for the fun of it and she totally loved not worrying about her hair.

Mark said...

This I have to see... Where are the photos?

lenalou said...

It must be a weird feeling, but I also think it will suit you. Very dramatic. At least summer is coming -- you are going to be coolheaded.

dantheman said...

GOOD FOR YOU! I remember when I shaved my mom's head. It's a brave step. I shaved mine again too! :) Love you.

Amy Little said...

Kropistoppin-
In the words of the great Dicky Boy Tata Koplin, "God only made so many perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair." How wise he was. I'm sure he's up there proud and smiling (while swimming with bowl-legged women) about his rockin awesome granddaughter. I hope you know how much I love you for your strength and faith and for your eternal optimism. You've always been inspiration me. Thanks for letting me in. I love you cuz.
Love,
Amalia Mimsy Kopenhagen Littlehausen

P.S. Danny Wood's tail says "hi". NKOTB 4EVA!

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

That must have been hard but I'm sure you look beautiful. I'm pullin for you kid. Is your head cold?

MissGlimpseBlogSpot said...

If you have to be ill- Your guys family is the one to be in. Humor and faith:) We are praying everyday for you guys:) It sure make a bad hair seem trivial, I have always heard that anyday above ground is a good one.

Tristen said...

I'm sure that took a lot of guts to shave your head! Way to go fight this thing head on. There are some major bonuses to no hair - you don't have to do it everyday, which takes forever, you don't have to wash it and comb it and put it back when it's bugging you. Maybe I will shave my head too! We are planning to come visit you soon! I can't wait to see you. My mom said she saw you and told me your are amazing, as I already knew you were! Love you!!