Friday, March 28, 2008

Diagnosis and Treatment Time

Well - it's official. Kristen has what's called 'stage 4b' in the lymphoma family - but don't let that scare you. Stage 4 mainly means that it has wandered to another location as well as her neck area and the 'b' means that she has other symptoms to go along with it (i.e. night sweats, itching, etc.) The cancer is centered in the lymph nodes around her neck and upper chest, the 'stage 4' designation comes from the fact that there is a small 'hot spot' also on her lower right lung area node. Bottom line - CURABLE! The Dr. said that this is the best cancer to have - if you have to have it - because it is curable.
What's next? She had to have a bone marrow biopsy today (ouch!) and also got a lung capacity test. On monday she will have a heart function test as well. The heart and lung tests are to help gage her overall health before beginning treatment. The bone marrow biopsy was to make sure there was no cancer there and these last 3 tests can also be used as baseline tests for later on if needed.
Sometime at the end of next week she will begin chemotherapy (no radiation with this). She will have to have 12 "doses" at 2 week intervals. About 2 weeks after her first dose the dr. said she will most likely start loosing her beautiful head of hair. (wig party!) She will be tired and have some nausea - but they will give her meds to help with that. She will also have to stay out of the direct sun - summer bummer - and her previously planned trip to Belize has to be postponed indefinitely!
Lot's going on but we are encouraged!
More later and love to ALL!!!
Kari

13 comments:

Kari Robinson - Historian said...

Grams says: Krissy, this is wonderful news!!! Our prayers have been answered! Now our prayers will simply go on and on until it is all gone!!! I hope you will always know that I am behind you one thousand percent. Now--what can I bring you for a treat -- what strikes your fancy at this point in time. Let me know! Always remember how very much you are loved!!!

Ashy and his Mommy said...

Hey girl! I miss and love you! Cancer huh?...what's up with that! Just know I'm thinkin' about ya and prayin' for you!!! I know there are a million-gazillion people out there on team Kristen! :)

Lisa Burbidge said...

Our family just wanted to let you know that you are in our prayers. Nate is saddened by the news but knows that you have the strenght to fight this one too.

Cindy Boyer said...

Kristen! I just heard the news what the heck!? Jess sent me the link to the blog and I hope you know that her and I are you # 1 fans and are always praying for you. We know this will work out because you are such a positive person and big fighter- plus you have the coolest mom cheering you on. Oh and I have notified Kaye so you have her prays as well :)

love ya tons girl!

Cindy "church" Boyer

Heather said...

There is some good news in all of this. No more migraines because your luscious locks are too heavy! I'm wishing you all the best Kristen.

Brock and Kristi said...

Kristen- I am so sorry you have to go through this! We are always thinking about you and you are in our prayers! I'm so glad it is curable. You are the best, we love you!

Karly said...

We just heard. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers and you CAN get through this! We love you!
Mellen and Karly

Debbie said...

Kristen,
I miss seeing you at work. I hope all will go well with the treatments and things you will endure. I have had some experience with being part of others lives who have encountered this trial. I thought you might like to know that you can do a few things about your hair loss that might help. First, you can purchase a wig and have it styled (cut and styled) before you loose your own hair. Second, there are a variety of head wraps and caps that are quite fashionable. I know there are seveal stores in the SL area that offer such items. There is also a website www.tlccatalog.org that you might find helpful. If you want more information I have a friend that can send me a list of stores in the area. Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Debbie

Mike R. said...

And the bone biopsy? Results? Anyone? Just cause Eric and I live in Provo doesn't mean our phones don't work...plus mine's not even long distance....hello!

Unknown said...

Hey women,
You know that you are one of my favorite all time people. I have no doubt that you are going to come through this with flying colors. You have always been a fighter. Remember when you used to fight about going to bed or fight about cleaning your room or fight about anything. That attitude and spunk will get you through this. You also have your mom's and dad's stubbornness combined. This cancer doesn't stand a chance. :)
Love ya,
Westy

Angie said...

Wow, good luch with everything and let me know if there is anything we can do to help. We all love you Kristen and are praying for you.

JJ said...

Thank you so much for these updates! You are in our prayers every single night and in our thoughts even more often. I'm so glad to read this is Hodgkin's lymphoma and may I offer my husband's blood should you ever need it. He's O negative which means EVERYONE can use his blood
:-)
- Alisa

Nick & Lynette said...

Hey Kristen,
Glad to hear that it is relatively good news. Like pretty much everyone else we just wanted to pass on our best wishes to you. My mom also asked me to let you know that you are in the thoughts and prayers of the whole Dennis Jacobsen family (since she can't figure out how to post comments on the blog). In any case, we love ya and we'll come visit soon.

Nick, Lynette, and Jason